Student Store - Tools & Equipment
During the Step 1 Independent Study training module, students should purchase the required professional level quality tools and equipment listed below. These are an extremely important investment in your training. Each item will be required for participation in the remaining steps of the training program.
Students should not seek out inexpensive or off-brand substitutes which will only compromise their ability to conduct the natural trim to ISNHCP standards. Our clinicians are authorized to deny any student participation in their clinics if they arrive with the wrong tools and equipment, or are missing any of those on the list that have not been discontinued. To avoid this happening, students are highly encouraged to obtain their supplies directly from our recommended vendors. Please note that these tools/equipment are an important investment in your future career as an ISNHCP Natural Hoof Care Practitioner.
The following required tools/equipment can be ordered at the J. Jackson Online Store. Links are provided for each item:
All other required tools/equipment should be ordered from the Star Ridge Company. Star Ridge has provided a private ordering page for the ISNHCP. Go here to place your order for the following items:
- GE Forge "Easy" 14-inch Standard Nipper
- F. Dick Turf Flat Rasp
- JV Brand 1.75 inch Rasp Handle or F. Dick Rasp Handle
- Hoof Meter Reader (two are required)
- Hoof Knives
- Professional Hoof Pick (two are recommended)
- Hoof Buffer-Sander (Model HB-1)
- HB-1 Fine and Coarse Sanding Belts (one each are recommended)
- Radius Rasp (Model RR-1)
- Radius Rasp (Model RR-2)
- RR-1 and RR-2 Replacement Blades (one or more of each are recommended)
- Sole/Bar Rasp (Model SR-2)
- Leather Apron
- Vernier Caliper
- Wire Brush (for cleaning debris from bottom of hoof)
- Lansky Fine Diamond Coated Hoof Knife Sharpener (recommended for sharpening the crook of the hoof knife).
- Tailor's Measuring Tape (for measuring BTL in deformed hooves demonstrating DTAs along the MATW)
- istor Swiss Hoof Knife Sharpers (for sharpening the blades of the hoof knife; both "Pro" and "Standard" are highly recommended -- these sharpeners should not be used to sharpen the hoof knife crook)
- Trimmer's Gloves