Student Store - Tools & Equipment
During the Step 1 Independent Study training module, students should purchase the required professional level quality tools and equipment listed below. These are an extremely important investment in your training. Each item will be required for participation in the remaining steps of the training program.
Students should not seek out inexpensive or off-brand substitutes which will only compromise their ability to conduct the natural trim to ISNHCP standards. Our clinicians are authorized to deny any student participation in their clinics if they arrive with the wrong tools and equipment, or are missing any of those on the list. To avoid this happening, students are highly encouraged to obtain their supplies directly from our recommended vendors.
Links are provided for each item:
- Tripod Hoof Stand-Work Center (WS-1 with Square Caddy is recommended)
- G.E. Forge "Easy" 14-inch Standard and Race Track Hoof Nippers
- F. Dick 14 inch Turf Rasp (shorter F. Dick rasps are not acceptable).
- JV Brand 1.75" rasp handle or F. Dick rasp handle
- Hoof Knives
- Hoof Meter Reader (2 are required).
- Hoof Balancer (Don't get the instructional book, it's included with your other books)
- Professional Hoof Pick (8 inch with formed handle)
- Hoof Sander (HB-1)
- Hoof Buffer (HB-2)
- Radius Rasp (RR-1)
- Radius Rasp (RR-2)
- Sole/Bar Rasp (SR-2)
- Leather Apron (any color)
- Vernier Caliper
- Wire Brush
Students are welcome to visit our recommended vendors to order your tools and equipment:
J.Jackson NHC Services -- By request, your order can be shipped directly to your Step 2 clinic site. Orders should be placed at least two weeks in advance of the clinic. Be sure to confirm that your hosting clinician can do this, and provide the correct shipping address at the time of your order.
Star Ridge Company -- The first "NHC Online Store" and publisher of NHC books.