Step 4 - Live Horse Trim Clinic
Step 4 — Live Horse Trim Clinic
Read everything below:
Upon approval of the sequencing video from the ISNHCP, students will advance to a one or two-day intensive "Introduction to Trimming Live Horses" clinic. In this Step 4 Clinic, students will marry their Step 1 academics, Step 2 cadaver trimming skills, and Step 3 sequencing techniques.
This is a one-on-one training session with your clinician. The clinician will guide you through all the sequencing and trimming steps on one or more horses so that you can return home and safely begin practicing on your own or trusting friends' horses. If you are unable to trim at least one horse for any reason during this clinic you are required by the ISNHCP to schedule additional Step 4 clinic time until such time as you are ready to practice alone. Your clinician will advise you if you need to schedule additional Step 4 clinic days or are ready to return home and practice on your own. The clinician's decision will be included in their training report filed with the ISNHCP. Typical reasons for failing the Step 4 clinic may include any of the following:
- Physically unable to sequence because you have not kept in shape since Step 3.
- Forgot how to measure hooves.
- Unable to trim according to guidelines because you forgot what you were taught.
- Don't use the appropriate tools for any given hoof structure.
- Unable to manage your horse due to poor communication skills with horse.
- Will not follow your clinician's instructions when given.
- Not equipped with all the required tools and equipment.
- Do not fill out required data forms.
- Arrive late, leave early, or don't show for any reason.
Fees are set by individual clinicians, and will vary based on whether or not there are one or two students in the clinic. Fees vary from $350 to $500 per day. As in previous steps, students must query our clinicians regarding their clinic schedules. The fee varies by the number of students participating: $500/1 student or $350/2 students. Payment is made directly to the Step 4 clinician. Do not pay the ISNHCP.
Sequencing & trimming video requirements
There are a number of requirements here, so read this section thoroughly.
- Following this clinic, you must submit a second video to the ISNHCP that demonstrates your proficiency in combined sequencing and trimming one horse in order to continue on to the field mentorships. Follow the same submission guidelines for the Step 3 Video Evaluation. The video will be evaluated by the ISNHCP and a critique will be provided to you as before by email.
- As with your Step 3 video submission, this video confirmation of capability is also very important because your Step 5 Mentorships are intended to expand upon this foundation. Your Field Instructors will be putting you under a range of horses with a diversity of hoof proportions. Your task will be to adapt the natural trim guidelines you learned to each hoof -- an impossible task if your sequencing skills and ability to wield tools according to guidelines are not confirmed. Students who cannot perform to ISNHCP standards may be required to return to another Step 3 or Step 4 Clinic, or both.
- Register here for your Step 4 Video Evaluation.
- Once the ISNHCP evaluates your video and confirms that you are ready to proceed to the Step 5 mentorships. As with your Step 3 Video Evaluation, your clinicians and field instructors will received copies of your Step 4 evaluation.
Please note!: Students who feel they are ready to move forward to a mentorship with their clinician immediately following their Step 4 clinic may have the clinician shoot their video for submission with the ISNHCP. However, the clinician must agree that you are ready to move forward and will put this confirmation in their Step 4 training report. The ISNHCP will still review your video to confirm that you are ready for your first mentorship. If, after reviewing the video, the ISNHCP decides you were not ready for your first mentorship, you will be required to return for another Step 4 clinic. Moreover, any mentorships taken before the ISNHCP's video evaluation will not be accepted towards your Step 5 requirements.