Step 4 - Live Horse Trim Clinic
Step 4 — Live Horse Trim Clinic
Read everything below:
Upon approval of the Step 3 Sequencing Video from the ISNHCP, students will advance to a one or two-day intensive "Introduction to Trimming Live Horses" clinic. In this Step 4 Clinic, students will marry their Step 1 academics, Step 2 cadaver trimming skills, and Step 3 sequencing techniques.
This is a one-on-one training session with your clinician. Unless you have had previous trimming experience, it is likely that you will need multiple clinic days to successfully complete this training step. Discuss this with your clinician in advance of the clinic. Your clinician will also be reviewing your Step 2 and Step 3 clinic reports to help you make a decision on how many days you should plan on.
The clinician will guide you through all the sequencing and trimming steps on one or more horses. If, in the clinician's opinion, you are unable to trim at least one horse for any reason by the end of this clinic you are required by the ISNHCP to schedule additional Step 4 clinic time until such time as you are ready. The clinician's decision will be included in their training report filed with the ISNHCP. Typical reasons for failing the Step 4 clinic may include any of the following:
- Physically unable to sequence because you have not kept in shape since Step 3.
- Forgot how to measure hooves.
- Unable to trim according to guidelines because you forgot what you were taught.
- Don't use the appropriate tools for any given hoof structure.
- Unable to manage your horse due to poor communication skills with horse.
- Will not or are unable to follow your clinician's instructions when given.
- Not equipped with all the required tools and equipment.
- Do not fill out required data forms (see below).
- Arrive late, leave early, or don't show up for any reason.
Step 4 Clinicians and Clinic Fee
Step 4 Sequencing clinics may be taught by any ISNHCP Clinician listed on this website (see "Meet Our Clinicians" on the home page), or by any ISNHCP Field Instructor listed on the AANHCP website's Practitioner Locator List.
Fees are set by individual clinicians, and will vary based on whether or not there are one or two students in the clinic. As in previous steps, students must query our clinicians regarding their clinic schedules. Payment is made directly to the Step 4 clinician. Do not pay the ISNHCP.
Sequencing & trimming video requirements
There are a number of requirements for Step 4, so read this section thoroughly.
- Submission of measurement data with the ISNHCP is required in this clinic. Use the data form for Step 4 included in your ISNHCP DVD. Scan the data form with your results and email it to the ISNHCP. You can also request this form from the ISNHCP if it was not included on your DVD at the time you entered the training program. Your clinician has been instructed to have this form on hand at the time of the clinic as well. But it is your responsibility to come with multiple copies, depending on the number of horses you will be trimming. Bring pencils (rather than ink pens) to record your data. Clipboards are highly recommended.
- Following this clinic, you must submit a video to the ISNHCP that demonstrates your proficiency in combined sequencing and trimming on one horse in order to continue on to the field mentorships. Follow the same submission guidelines for the Step 3 Video Evaluation. The video will be evaluated by the ISNHCP and a critique will be provided to you as before by email.
- As with your Step 3 video submission, this video confirmation of capability is also very important because your Step 5 Mentorships are intended to expand upon this foundation. Your Field Instructors will be putting you under a range of horses with a diversity of hoof proportions. Your task will be to adapt the natural trim guidelines you learned to each hoof -- an impossible task if your sequencing skills and ability to wield tools according to guidelines are not confirmed. Students who cannot perform to ISNHCP standards may be required to return to another Step 3 or Step 4 Clinic, or both.
- Post your video online (on either a private Facebook page or YouTube). Email a link to the ISNHCP and include the Step 4 Clinic date (and video date if completed on different dates) as well as the name of your Step 4 Clinician, who must be present at the time your video was taken. This is important because your clinician must report to the ISNHCP that your trim meets our natural guidelines. Register here for your Step 4 Video Evaluation.
- The ISNHCP evaluates your video and confirms that you are ready to proceed to the Step 5 mentorships. As with your Step 3 Video Evaluation, your clinicians and field instructors will receive copies of your Step 4 evaluation. If you fail your Step 4 Video Evaluation, you will be required to register again and pass this requirement.
Please note!: Students who feel they are ready to move forward to a mentorship with their clinician immediately following their Step 4 clinic may have the clinician shoot their video for submission with the ISNHCP. However, the clinician must agree that you are ready to move forward and will put this confirmation in their Step 4 training report. The ISNHCP will still review your video to confirm that you are ready for your first mentorship. If, after reviewing the video, the ISNHCP decides you were not ready for your first mentorship, you will be required to return for another Step 4 clinic. Moreover, any mentorships taken before the ISNHCP's video evaluation will not be accepted towards your Step 5 requirements.