Step 4 - Live Horse Trim Clinic
Step 4 — Live Horse Trim Clinic
Read everything below:
Upon approval of the Step 3 Sequencing Video from the ISNHCP, students will advance to a one or two-day intensive "Introduction to Trimming Live Horses" clinic. In this Step 4 Clinic, students will marry their Step 1 academics, Step 2 cadaver trimming skills, and Step 3 sequencing techniques.
This is a one-on-one training session with your clinician. Unless you have had previous trimming experience, it is likely that you may need multiple clinic days to successfully complete this training step. Discuss this with your clinician in advance of the clinic. Your clinician will also be reviewing your Step 2 and Step 3 clinic reports to help you make a decision on how many days you should plan on.
The clinician will guide you through all the sequencing and trimming steps on one or more horses. If, in the clinician's opinion, you are unable to trim at least one horse for any reason by the end of this clinic you are required by the ISNHCP to schedule additional Step 4 clinic time until such time as you are ready. The clinician's decision will be included in their training report filed with the ISNHCP. Typical reasons for failing the Step 4 clinic may include any of the following:
- Physically unable to sequence because you have not kept in shape since Step 3.
- Forgot how to measure hooves.
- Unable to trim according to guidelines because you forgot what you were taught.
- Don't use the appropriate tools for any given hoof structure.
- Unable to manage your horse due to poor communication skills with horse.
- Will not or are unable to follow your clinician's instructions when given.
- Not equipped with all the required tools and equipment.
- Do not fill out required data forms (see below).
- Arrive late, leave early, or don't show up for any reason.
Step 4 Clinicians and Clinic Fee
Step 4 Sequencing clinics may be taught by any ISNHCP Clinician listed on this website (see "Meet Our Clinicians" on the home page), or by any ISNHCP Field Instructor listed on the AANHCP website's Practitioner Locator List.
Fees are set by individual clinicians, and will vary based on whether or not there are one or two students in the clinic. As in previous steps, students must query our clinicians regarding their clinic schedules. Payment is made directly to the Step 4 clinician. Do not pay the ISNHCP.
There are a number of requirements for Step 4, so read this section thoroughly.
Measuring and Data Forms
- Download the Step 4 Data Form here.
- Download instructions for Calibrating your HMR for deformed hooves here.
Sequencing & trimming video requirements
Following this clinic, you must submit a video to the ISNHCP that demonstrates your proficiency in combined sequencing and trimming on one horse in order to continue on to the field mentorships. Follow the same submission guidelines for the Step 3 Video Evaluation. The video will be evaluated by the ISNHCP and a critique will be provided to you as before by email.